Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Bad morning

It was my day to take Caleb, Jared, and Daniel to seminary.

Two of my boys were fighting super bad in the van, to the point of punching, words that are not appropriate and so on. If the police station would have been open then I would have parked in front, went in and had them deal with this. I was that mad.

But the little police station was closed on campus by the seminary building, not sure why it was closed, but two teens are very lucky right now.

ANYWAY

so by the time we get to seminary, things had escalated to the point that I said, "give me your phones"

Neither would give them up, so I told them, "You either give me your phone for a day, or loose service for a week."

One son gave me his phone, the other one did not.

So I came home, went on Verizon wireless website and shut off service to his phone until next Wednesday.

I'm super mad and so sick of the fighting. I just want to cry.

4 comments:

chelsey said...

It's nice that verizon lets you do that! And kudos for doing it. I know that's not going to be a pleasant conversation to have when he's home. Hang in there. Maybe you should send them both to work together in a soup kitchen for the holidays so they learn to appreciate each other a bit more. I'm sure they'd love me for that suggestion, wouldn't they?? :)
Everybody's kids fight and parents always wish they could ship them off to a boarding school somewhere in Switzerland. I've been there myself.
Hugs.

chelsey said...

Oh, and one thing Brent and I started doing that drives my kids NUTS is to whisper back everytime they start yelling at us for something. It's hard to escalate into full blown fights when at least one of you is whispering. It's hard for me to do, but I find it usually diffuses the situation. Geoff and Sarah aren't too fond of it, but for some odd reason (not always, but mostly) it works to calm them down a bit. Seems silly, but maybe the younger kids would get on board and do it too when older ones start yelling. Maybe it'll sink in??

The Duke said...

I'm so sorry you had such a rough day! One day you will look at your sons and think, "Wow, they have really turned out well!" And they hopefully will. For now, however, they are giving you a run for your money.
Taking away something that they like usually worked best for us just like you did with the phones. One week isn't long enough, in my mind. I would have them wait for a month before they got it back if they were that rowdy.
I hope this evening is a bit more peaceful.
Why don't you find something to praise about them tonight? See if you can let them know you love them in some way despite what they did. Maybe that will take them off guard.
Good luck!

Merrilee said...

I'm sorry! I think we all have mornings where we feel like that though. I know that when they fight in the car is the worst! Way to go taking away the phones. I'm sure they'll think about if it's worth it next time they want to fight in the car! Hang in there!