Saturday, September 18, 2010

Tanger Outlets Fit for Families 5K


Back in July I read about this race in Williamsburg, Iowa and thought it sounded like a great race close to home. It was chip timed so we'd have our results immediately, and it had finishing metals (nice touch) and most importantly, post-race food! So I signed up not realizing that this race would be the week right after my half marathon. I've been resting all week, recovering from that long crazy run and really thought I'd just walk the race today.

Well, I knew better because I'm way too competitive to walk anything.

I felt pretty good overall this morning and because I haven't run all week I knew that running just 3.1 miles wouldn't be so bad. It was cold out, 61 degrees to be exact and I had a bit of a cough going on, probably the start of a cold.

The horn went off and the race began. To my surprise I was running at a great pace and for most of the race was in the top 8 of the women, or at least I thought I was, I only remembered 7 other women passing me. It was a very small race, meaning probably only 100 or less were actually there. Either way I ran well and then, to my surprise, at the rewards ceremony I was announced as first place in my age group. My time was 29:38 and I received a neat looking metal. I'm in shock, but super happy because it feels great to place at all.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Congratulations! Your races always makes shake my head and say "WOW! She did another one!" You are just so amazing.

Michelle said...

Thanks Linda, you are so nice.
The reason I love doing races is because of all the positive energy that surrounds you there. Everyone has the same goal to finish and everyone has been trying to better their life leading up to the race by either walking or running more than they did the week before. There are always a bunch of people that have never been in a race and it's great to hear their stories. All this racing is teaching me a lot about what I can do and accomplish. I wish I could do a race every single weekend, maybe next year!

Papa Doc said...

At this point in time if I was racing they would need the ambulance with in a few hundred feet of the starting gate. Do they have the food that close?

Dad Clark

Michelle said...

All the food is at the finish line. At these races you will see every type of person, very young like 10 years old, all the way to people in their 80's. I've seen many people with prostetic legs and that always inspires me to try harder. Usually if it is someone's first race they walk and that is great. I have seen people of all weights, from super skinny to several hundred pounds and it doesn't seem to matter they just get out there and do this. One lady in this past race was around 250 pounds she said and it was her 4th race of the year. She has been walking since the beginning of the year, she has diabeties and she she has lost over 100 pounds. She said all kinds of things have improved with her health because of walking. Her goal she said was next year to run a 5K. She said, it will probably take till next year at this time, but I know I can do it. This is why I race to hear their stories and know I can do this too. There was a man in his 70's at this last race who walked with a cane the entire way and I've seen wheelchairs and crutches.