Saturday, July 17, 2010

2010 Okoboji Half Marathon and Triathlon Race--Okoboji, IA

On Friday July 16th we went to Okoboji, Iowa to run a couple races.
Below is us taking a picture of ourselves. We are adorable!













We ate at a restaurant named Tweeter's. It had all kinds of yummy food. I chose Coconut Shrimp which was good, but not quite as fabulous as Red Lobster makes them. Jason had Steak!
Notice my bib number for the race. #472 Now this may not mean anything to you, but to me it's the perfect number for two reasons.
1. My birthday is the 4th day of September in 1972
2. When you add all those numbers together 4 plus 7 plus 2 you will get 13. 13 is my most favorite number ever.
The number 13 came up 3 times. Once for the number of miles I was running, twice for my bib number and the third time for our room number on our hotel room, see below.




















Here is Jason, so cute in his Triathlon shorts. Do you notice those muscular legs? His race had a .6 mile swim, 18 mile bike ride and then a 5.5 mile run.
It was 96 degrees out and we were both in complete misery.
















This race was a race we will NEVER do again. Here are the reasons why
1. Part of the bike portion of the race was on the main street of Okoboji without any traffic control so it was dangerous.
2. The race needed more people on the course for safety reasons.
3. When Michelle finished her race they had ran out of food, so there was NONE. And they only had bananas to begin with. This was unexceptable for a race of this size.
4. This race was 4 1/2 hours from our house. Way too far away to travel for a dumb race. We only did this for the experience of the races and it's our anniersary in 1 week so it was our weekend getaway.



This is a picture of a completely exhausted ME. After the race I couldn't wear my shoes anymore because I have a massive blister on the bottom of my 4th toe on my right foot. So I walked barefoot in the grass and that felt wonderful.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Way to go! You guys are hardcore!

The Duke said...

I just don't know how you do this in the heat! I can hardly walk in such oppressive heat (humidity figured in) let alone run.
Congratulations for completing it.

Janessa said...

You guys are awesome! I love that you're doing all these races together too. How fun!

Lokodi said...

You should be so proud of yourselves. I'm quite impressed with both of you.

Papa Doc said...

Man, you go to Okaboji to run? It is such a nice place. But to go there to suffer? Actually, I think it is wonderful to have you both not only be able to do such a thing, but to want to do it! Considering how some of us look and even you guys a few year ago, the way you look and get on now is nothing short of amazing!

That race you, Michelle, ran in Bloomington was just a warm up for such a one as this one.

Your kids have few friends with parents who are so neat.

Love,

Dad Clark