Saturday, June 19, 2010

5K race in Burlington, Iowa

3rd race of the year. This time it's a 5K. So glad it was only that. Last week's race was so hard that I needed a smaller race to recover.

This race was for the local YMCA/YWCA in Burlington, Iowa. It was a small unsponsored race so that meant many things.

First: No numbers on your belly. So as you will notice in all the pictures I don't have a number on.

Second: No chip timer for my shoe, they do the timing the old fashioned way, with a stop watch. Imagine that???

Third: No packet with fun prizes,food, or ads for other races

Fourth: Not many people participated

Fifth: Very few things to eat at the end

Lastly: When you cross the finish line you are given a popsicle stick with your place number on it. Your time is yelled at you. You do get a shirt to wear and brag about your race so that is fun!

Results: There were 120 racers and I placed 49th out of 120

There were 18 racers in my age group of 30-39 and I placed 7th out of 18

My first mile time was 8:58, end of second mile 18:40, end of race 29:13 so this means I ran the 3.1 miles with a pace time of 9 minutes and 40 seconds. Beating my time from my last 5 K.

And as always my goals are these:

1. to not be last
2. to beat 30 minutes
3. to finish.

I did all three. Horay for me! Next race is in Tiffin, Iowa in 3 weeks on July 10th. My son Brenden may run this one with me.


1st picture of me was when I finished the first lap of Crapo park in Burlington. I was tired but determined to make the next lap. I'm blurry because I'm so fast. :)






Running to the finish line!
This is the best feeling ever to cross over the finish and say to yourself, "I am awesome."

2 comments:

Team Clark said...

You're amazing, Michelle! I run once a week for only 20 minutes (mixed in with other exercises during the week) and it kills me every time. So as far as I'm concerned you are the woman!
Amy

Janessa said...

You are awesome! I think you're addicted to these races:) What a great thing to be addicted to:) Keep up the good work!!!