Saturday, May 15, 2010

5K Race in Marion, Iowa

I made it to race day. May 15, 2010

I woke up around 5:30a.m. to find that my race clothes were still in the washer and hadn't been dried the night before so I quickly put just the items I needed in the dryer. Everyone else was woke up at 5:45a.m. and no one was happy about my race.
Can't say I blame them, no fun to get up so dang early on a Saturday.

We left by 6:05a.m. to travel to North Liberty to pick up my friend Stephanie.

By 6:45a.m. we arrived in Marion 15 minutes earlier than we had expected to, so we could pick up our race packet with our number, time chip for our shoe, and our goodie bag with treats and advertizements in it.

6:50a.m. Gave our extra stuff to Jason so we could warm up for the race. Jason then left with the children to go to Sandy and Larry's home to watch the race and have breakfast.

7:15a.m. Stephanie and I were warming up by walking fast, running, stretching.

7:45a.m. Line up for the race had begun. We picked a place near the front to start our race.

7:58a.m. A horrible National Anthem was sung by someone who didn't know all the words. Pathetic. AND she didn't sing well to make it worse. People were shaking their heads in disappointment.

8a.m. Mayor of Marion counts down to the race and it began.

8:16a.m. passed Sandy and Larry's house and saw everyone and managed to wave even though I was tired by that point. I had only ran a little over halfway so I should have felt better, but didn't.

8:30 and 24 seconds I passed the finish line.

then I began "almost barfing" My body was doing the action and nothing was coming out. I felt horrible and was sure I was going to puke a bunch.

Within a couple minutes I felt better and got in line for the free massage. That was amazing and I'm glad they had over 10 massage tables up and people willing to do that for all of us!

Then in line for the food. There was:
oranges, bananas, watermelon, pop, water, gatorade, granola bars, pretzals, cheese, cookies. I think that's it. I grabbed a few things, then got in line to get my printout of my results.

My pace was 9:50 meaning this is what my time was per mile.
I placed 455 out of almost 900 people
For my age of 37 I placed 28th (I have no idea how many were in this group)
Out of all the females I placed 207th (again no idea how many females were running)

Overall my time was 30:24

Not bad considering this was only my 2nd race ever. Last time was a 5K 5 years ago when I was 32 and my time then was 5 minutes slower.

Here are a bunch of pictures. In the first two can you find me?

I'm way in the back in the first picture on the left and then in the second one I'm more in the middle.




Me running past my family.





11 comments:

The Duke said...

My hat goes off to anyone that is willing and able to do this! Pretty dang awesome.
Congratulations!

Jess and Jen said...

I agree with Chris. I'm not a runner, so this sounds tough to me! Way to go! -Jen

Mike and Adrianne said...

That's fantastic, Michelle! Congratulations. And, that's a great time!

LanceandNance said...

That's awesome Michelle. Maybe one of these days some of the men in the family will start doing these. I know I need the exercise!

Lance

Jason said...

Uh, Lance, you seem to forget, I have already competed in two triathlons with another one on tap. So, the men in this family are represented! However, you are probably never going to see me doing a half marathon. That's just crazy!

Janessa said...

Way to go Michelle! That's awesome!!! I ran that race a few years ago. It was...hmmm, I was going to say fun but I'd be lying. I don't think I'd ever call running a 5K fun. I'll say that it was a good experience though and I'm glad I did it. It sounds like you may feel the same way:)

LanceandNance said...

That's awesome Michelle! Don't you just love road races? There is something thrilling about wearing a bib and all the people and excitement. Your time was better than my last 5K. I hope to start training for another race soon, but my knees are still recovering from the last one. Great job!!

-Nancy

Linda said...

Michelle, you are crazy and totally awesome!

Lokodi said...

Man Michelle! You're looking fine girl! That's a good time you got too. Way to go.

Lindsey

SuzyQ01 said...

Congratulations! I have to say that is WAYYY to early to get up on a Saturday - and then to run a 5k on top of that? I agree with Linda - you are crazy, but awesome! Good job :)

Michelle said...

Thanks for all the great and nice comments!

This was super hard, but one of my goals for the year, so I had to do it. My next goal for the year is a 10K. That race is on June 12th. HOpefully I'll be able to run that entire race.