Sunday, November 3, 2013

New job within my job.

Some of you know and some have no clue so I thought I'd update my family, friends and blog stalkers.  Currently I'm the Receptionist for an awesome bank on the  East side of Iowa City.   I love that job, it is fun and the best part is I get to see so many people I haven't  seen in years that live on the East side like my old neighbors from Esther Street that I hadn't seen in over 6 years.  Plus people from a fitness facility I used to teach at on the East side,  Also people from a grocery store on the East side where I used to work many years ago.  It's a great job and I have had fun doing that.

However some things have happened in my family over the last couple months that really have needed me to be home earlier in the day so I've been looking for other jobs to post within the bank that have earlier hours or "better in my opinion hours".  My hours currently are 9-5:30 and every Saturday morning from 9-12.  These hours are hard on the family because with the commute I currently do, I'm not home until around 6 p.m. on most nights and then I'm gone every Saturday, so I've missed quite a few things the children have after school.

A few weeks ago a job was posted that was open to apply for within my job.  This job sounded interesting and something I was qualified to do, so I went to my current boss and told him about the things happening in my family that really needed me to be home more.  I asked him for special permission to be able to apply for another job within the bank, even though I haven't been in the bank at this current position 6 months.   My boss was very understanding and gave the special permission to HR so I could internally apply for this other job.

I applied on a Monday afternoon and waited.  Later that same day of applying I was called by the new boss of the job and asked to interview.   I was excited.  The interview was several days away so I had time to prepare for an awesome interview.

Friday of that same week arrived and I interviewed.  The interview went amazing, I thought.  I liked everything I heard about the job.  It sounds busy, challenging and exciting.  Best of all the hours were 8-4:30 M-F and No Saturdays.  Plus there is the flexibility if you have appointments or things important for the family that you can come in 6-2:30 or 7-3:30.  Just as long as you get your 8 hours in for the day. This was the thing that interested me the most.    I know that even if the job doesn't end up being something I love, that I can make it fun.  The hours are the best for my family.

The interview went really well until the end I thought.  I asked her how many other applicants there were for this position.  She told me there were 2 other internal applicants.  This is when my hopes were dashed.  I lost my confidence at that point and I'm not sure why.  I was thinking to myself that "I've been at the bank the shortest amount of time out of all the applicants so both of them must have more experience than I do."  But then I started thinking about my qualifications for that particular job.  I have been in Customer Service jobs for over 15 years now.  Maybe they haven't.  I have an extremely fast typing speed and maybe they can't type at all, a super fast 10-Key speed.  I've done data entry jobs before and I LOVE to be busy and have lots of work to do to keep me busy.

I decided after interviewing that I would just leave this job in the Lord's hands.  I had done everything I could for a great interview.  I let my personality shine through and it was over.  No matter what happened it was for the best.

That morning I sent her a well thought out interview Thank you letter.

On Monday afternoon the next week I received an e-mail from the new boss saying she wanted to talk to me about the new position.  I called her and she wasn't there.  I left a message for her.

She called me back shortly thereafter and offered me the new job.  I squealed with delight.  I'm sure I sounded super funny.  I was extremely happy to receive the new job.

So there you have it.  I received the new job and I will start on Tuesday, November 12th at this new job within the bank since Monday, November 11th is a holiday.  One more week as a receptionist.

My commute is at least 10 minutes shorter.  My hours will be much better and the job will be a ton busier.  I hope it all works out and I end up really liking the new position like I'm thinking I will.

2 comments:

The Duke said...

I'm so happy for you! This sounds like a great opportunity and I'm sure the kids will love having you home a little more often. I wouldn't have liked those Saturday hours, either.
CONGRATULATIONS!! WAY TO GO.

Michelle said...

Thanks Chris. I am excited to do something busier with better hours. If I have to work full time at least the hours will work better for the family. These last 3 years have been tough on us, but especially these last few months. I'm glad I have a job that truly understands family. More workplaces should be like this.